1 2

Previous Page

Thread: 2011 Brecon Beast Route

Created on: 24/8/11 12:00 AM

Replies: 24

billrob

RE: 2011 Brecon Beast Route
12/9/11 10:47 AM

Can anyone explain why a lot of us were refused entry to the final loop for the extended route? I got to the final loop point at 1.45 and was told it was closed. There is nothing I can find in advance information to indicate that there was a time limit on completion of the long route. Given the effort gone into training etc for this event, coupled with the fact that the total route was already shorter than anticipated, this refusal to allow completion of the full route seems particularly unfair and was really frustrating. An explanation would be appreciated. Thanks.

Link | Top | Bottom

kev

12/9/11 3:35 PM

In the interest of safety of riders and very importantly our Volunteer marshals it is necessary to have a cut off time not to over extend the time out for all exposed to what can be some extreme conditions and especially when these conditions are against us. We regret any dissapoints caused but we do have a duty of care to all involved and we have always stated that we reserve the right to amend the routes etc and the introduction of a cut off time at a specific location has always been part of our safety operation and planning.

Hope you can understand this situation even if it does cause some personal dissapointments.
Kev - Beast

Link | Top | Bottom

billrob

12/9/11 8:10 PM

Kev thanks for reply & explanation - fully understand. My concern was that there was no prior notification of this - if I'd known I would have been less casual on sandwich stops in the first couple if hours! Thanks for replying.

Link | Top | Bottom

andrew100

13/9/11 9:52 AM

HI, given the above points i have a minor enquiry. i dont think i got to the 3rd split much before the cut off (given the above comments), so still completed the 87km. does this mean that many of the first to be turned onto the short route will have come in on the timings as ahead of me and still technically have been recorded on the 'long route'? or were the numbers of those turned away noted and there distances ammended ( i appreciate this would theoretically result in 3 distances)?
sorry to be a pain i am only interested. anyway great event, and well run, was my 3rd and despite better fitness was far harder than before. Of note i clocked the short at 73km last year with 1100 climbing, and the 87km this with about 1700.
Cheers and roll on next year

Link | Top | Bottom

Mendipmudplugger

26/9/11 10:13 PM

Hi, thought I'd put in some feedback.
Loved the event, was as good as ever, despite the conditions. There was a lot to like about the new route. I liked going out to Langors mountain, it was good to ride over a new hill. Yes it did have a very steep section, but I thought that this was fair as we are suposed to be mountain bikers. I can see that the further back you were then the longer the jams, but that is always the case at the start of any event. I bet the initial, contouring single track was getting very erroded by the back of the field.
The extra forrest loops for the long route were fine, it let us open up the legs and get some miles in, the long drag up a flooded motox rut (going SW up above Talybont res) was a bit taxing in the weather!

I loved the finish this year, to crest the gap, see Brecon and know you were on the run in was a great feeling. The final descent into Brecon was good fun.

It was a shame not to ride Fan Ghyirych and Sarn Helen, but you cannot have it all, and doing all the road at the start made it a better mtb ride.

Marshalling and signage excellent - I have not riden an event with better, pretty much impossible to get lost and very friendly, enthusiatic marshalls.

Congratulations on another cracking event, hope you made enough for the charities that all the volunteers are up for it agian next year. Keep up the good work!

Link | Top | Bottom

Next Page

1 2

Previous Page

New Post

Please login to post a response.